You can view and download the text below as a 2-sided folded A-4 leaflet here
“That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour. That is the whole Torah, the rest is commentary.”
WE BELIEVE THAT
- Lasting peace between Israel and the Palestinians requires justice, mutual recognition and respect.
- Peace requires ending Israel’s illegal occupation and settlement of Palestinian land, including its illegal blockade of Gaza.
- Peace requires Israel to acknowledge its responsibility in the creation of the Palestinian refugees, and its obligation to negotiate a just, fair and practical resolution of the issue.
- Violence against civilians, no matter who commits it, is unacceptable.
- Israel’s repressive policies in the West Bank and Gaza are breeding hatred and resentment.
- Israel’s discrimination against its Palestinian citizens is unacceptable.
- It is crucial that Jews speak out for Palestinians’ human rights.
- The humanitarian values of Judaism have been corrupted by the Israeli state’s abuses of human rights.
- Britain, the EU, the USA, Russia and the UN must be persuaded to implement UN resolutions on Palestine.
IF YOU AGREE then join nearly two thousand other Jews in Britain who make up JEWS FOR JUSTICE FOR PALESTINIANS
“The Torah teaches: ‘Justice, justice, you shall pursue’ (Deuteronomy 16:20).
To secure a lasting settlement to the conflict between Palestinians and Israelis so they can live in peace and security, thrive side by side, and co-operate together, Jews today are obligated to pursue justice on behalf of both peoples.”
RABBI ELIZABETH TIKVAH SARAH
WHO WE ARE
JEWS FOR JUSTICE FOR PALESTINIANS (JfJfP) is a network of Jews who are British or live in Britain, practising and secular, Zionist and not. We bring together Jews from across the religious and political spectrum and value contributions to the struggle for justice for Palestinians by Jews from every background, in Britain, Israel, and across the world
OUR SIGNATORIES LIST consists of Jews of many different backgrounds and experience. We include lawyers, clerical workers, pensioners, rabbis, parliamentarians, students, performing artists, scientists, novelists, managers, trade unionists, doctors, academics and teachers. Several signatories hold high honours including knighthoods, fellowships of the Royal Society and the British Academy. All follow in the footsteps of Jews throughout the ages who have fought for human rights and against oppression
JfJfP opposes Israeli policies that are destroying the human, civil, political and economic and rights of the Palestinian people.
We are committed to the Palestinians’ right to self determination and to their right to a viable state as set out in United Nations resolutions.
We support the right of Israelis to live in peace and freedom within Israel’s 1967 borders.
WE ORGANISE to ensure that Jewish opinions critical of Israeli policy and supportive of Palestinian rights are heard in Britain.
WE BELIEVE that giving a voice to such opinions is important in challenging antisemitism and the claim that opposition to Israel’s destructive policies is antisemitic, as well as in supporting justice for Palestinians.
WE WORK TO BUILD Jewish opposition to the Israeli occupation with like-minded groups around the world and are a founding member of EUROPEAN JEWS FOR A JUST PEACE – a federation of Jewish groups in ten European countries whose principles comprise:
CONDEMNATION of all violence against civilians in the conflict, no matter by whom it is carried out.
RECOGNITION of Israel’s 1967 ‘green line’ borders
A COMMITMENT to the Palestinians’ right to a viable state in the West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza
CALLING ON ISRAEL to acknowledge its part in the creation of the Palestinian refugee problem and its obligation to negotiate a just, fair and practical resolution of the issue
WE COOPERATE with other organisations on specific issues without necessarily endorsing everything they do.
“Israel must withdraw from all the settlements and dismantle the wall within Palestinian territory. Then, perhaps, we may at last see some justice for Palestinians.” MIRIAM KARLIN
WHAT WE DO
WE SUPPORT many Israeli and Palestinian peace and human-rights organisations morally and financially, including:
Adalah; Al Haq; Al Mezan Centre for Human Rights; Alternative Information Centre; Anarchists Against the Wall; Association for Civil Rights in Israel; Bereaved Families Forum; Breaking the Silence; B’tselem; Coalition of Women for Peace; Combatants for Peace; Emek Shaveh; Freedom Theatre, Jenin; Gaza Community Mental Health Programme; Gisha; Gush Shalom; Hope Flowers School, Bethlehem; Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions; Israel Social TV; Machsom (Checkpoint) Watch; Middle East Nonviolence and Democracy; Negev Coexistence Forum for Civil Equality; New Profile; Palestinian Centre for Human Rights, Gaza; Physicians for Human Rights-Israel; Public Committee Against Torture in Israel; Rabbis for Human Rights;-Sadaka-Reut, Arab Jewish Youth Partnership; Ta’ayush, Arab-Jewish Partnership; Tent of Nations; Villages Group; Windows – Channels for Communication; Yesh Din;Yesh Gvul; Zochrot.
WE ORGANISE meetings across the UK and produce information on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict – both printed and online- often in association with Palestinians.
WE SPEAK to human rights and religious groups across the UK and appear on television and radio programmes
WE LOBBY the British, American and other governments, and the European Union. to exert pressure on Israeli governments in support of the Palestinians’ claims for justice and self-determination.
WE PROMOTE targeted boycott, divestment and sanctions initiatives against Israeli and foreign organisations which maintain, promote or profit from the illegal occupation or undermine the human, civil, economic and political rights of the Palestinian people.
WE COUNTER Israel’s ‘Hasbara’ (self promotion) strategy, designed to present Israel as a ‘normal’ advanced democracy, and to divert attention from the continuing occupation of Palestinian land and the discrimination against the Palestinian citizens of Israel.
WE PUBLISH occasional advertisements about important current issues in the national and Jewish press.
WE CHANNEL funds for humanitarian aid and charitable projects through the British Shalom-Salaam Trust, an independent grant-giving charity.
WE PROVIDE practical support to the Palestinian economy by, for example, planting olive trees, supporting Zaytoun, a fair-trade organisation marketing Palestinian olive oil, and encouraging fact-finding trips to the area.
“The work that Jews for Justice for Palestinians has done is of profound importance for the human rights of Palestinians and Israelis and for reaffirming the long association between Jewish people and the struggle for human rights everywhere.”
FRANCESCA KLUG OBE
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- Encourage Jewish friends, relatives and colleagues to join our growing list of signatories.
- If you are not Jewish, join Friends of Jews for Justice for Pales
- Get involved with other signatories where you live.
- Write letters to the local and national press – JfJfP can help and advise on this.
- Help organise meetings in your synagogue or area – JfJfP can supply speakers.
- Join in fundraising for humanitarian and campaigning activities.
- Lobby your MP to speak out against the Occupation.
- Support targeted boycott, divestment and sanctions campaigns and actions to challenge Israeli ‘Hasbara’
- Help distribute information on JfJfP events, campaigns and relevant issues.
“Jews for Justice for Palestinians is concerned for justice for them—and us!
Without justice for Palestinians, there is no hope for Israel.”
RABBI JEFFREY NEWMAN
Jews For Justice For Palestinians is A Company Limited by Guarantee
Company No. 8138012. Registered in England and Wales